As a backer of the Chaosium Kickstarter for the revised Horror on the Orient Express, I received a most unexpected update to that project last night:
The Great Old Ones have returned!
Greetings to all our Patient Backers,
We have pressed the reset button…
In 1975 Chaosium started out as a quirky boutique game company. We were all about creativity, artistry and craftsmanship. With every game we provided you with new realms of imagination and entertainment. Over the last few years we forgot that, and lost our way.
The Great Old Ones have Returned…
Greg Stafford, founder of Chaosium and creative force during its heyday, is now President. Sandy Petersen, world renowned game designer who brought Cthulhu into the light three decades ago, has rejoined the team as well.
Greg says: “Chaosium is part of my legacy. My intent is to restore it to its rightful place in the world of gaming. Something we can all take pride in, and something that fans will look forward to.Where ‘what’s next?’ is answered with ‘I can’t wait’.”
The Stars are Right…
Sandy says: “I am excited to return to active participation in the Call of Cthulhu line, and I’m eagerly looking forward to working directly with Greg again. We are Chaosium’s original team from the 1980s. My first focus is going to be the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition Kickstarter campaign.”
Our main plan is simple (but will be a lot of work):
- Quickly sift and sort through the current company problems
- Immediately ship the remaining Horror on the Orient Express backer rewards
- Focus on the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition Kickstarter backer rewards
- Return to regularly making awesome new games.
We offer new hope, and ask only for your patience.”
Please visit Chaosium.com for regular news and updates. Contact us with questions, kudos, curses, or kindness. We are listening, and we will respond.
Greg Stafford, President and CEO of Chaosium Inc.
I’m puttin’ the band back together.
A little digging turns up that this notice was posted (publicly) to both of Chaosium’s Kickstarters, but not the Chaosium website or any of their social media sites. While that seems to simply be the announcement of two former Chaosium greats’ return, anyone familiar with the troubles they’ve had in both of their Kickstarter projects, easily read between the lines to see that there must be some serious issues in Denmark, err, Hayward, which was confirmed earlier to day when Sandy Petersen posted this update to Yog-Sothoth.com:
Hey all, this is Sandy Petersen of course.
I’ve been keeping my head down for a while, working on other matters, but I wanted to drop a note about what happened at Chaosium yesterday. You guys ought to know.
1) Charlie Krank is no longer President of Chaosium.
2) Greg Stafford is President of Chaosium. (again).
3) Ben Monroe, whose name many of you may recognize, is assisting Greg in managing Chaosium’s physical facilities, its warehouse, material, etc.
4) I am now involved with Chaosium (again). My current status is VP of the Board of Directors (Greg is President).
5) I cannot speak for Greg, but my number one concern is seeing that the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition gets out to the backers.
One way of looking at it is that the old Chaosium team is back again. Personally I think this is cause for rejoicing not worry but there you have it.
Yog-Sothoth Neblod Zin
That is some major news. I will post more when I learn more.